Sunday, September 26, 2010

Shoes

Weird things start happening when you pack for a trip with the Significant Other.

I never really thought about my shoes until today. I got lots; they're all well worn-in so are comfortable and can do the job. These shoes have carried me reliably wherever I have asked them to go.  It turns out that they don't match my wardrobe and they are out of style. I never thought about this.  (I suspect I am soon to learn that my wardrobe does not match my shoes and is out of style.)

We went shoe shopping today. I bought 4 pair, which is one pair more than needed for this trip. The extra pair is to offer choice in the leisure of our home so that we may evaluate which of the 4 pair are most suitable for my application and return the rest. I write this wearing my new pair of "casual walking shoes for use with bluejeans." They are pretty comfortable but, like all new shoes, need about a month of continuous use to become old friends. I am committed to the relationship.

Interestingly, an old pair of shoes (the "dress walking shoes for use with suit and tie") beat out their new competition (after a hasty polishing in the garage), so it may be that two new pair go back for refund. 

I acknowledge that my existing pair of "casual slip-on shoes for loafing around" are due for replacement: I have ShoeGoo'ed the soles just one too many times already.

No comments: