Saturday, November 20, 2010

Winter Wonderland

One of the first things I did when I got my new bike to the apartment a few days ago was to take a few things apart just to see how they worked.  The bike has unusual inner tubes which have strange valve stems that I have never seen before (I will change them to conventional tubes when necessary).  I undid the plastic cap and undid a metal sleeve that fits over what looks like the stem itself.  Interesting.  About 15 seconds later, the valve launched itself from the high pressure tire at about 100 mph.  It went ricocheted against the walls, furniture and drapery.  The tire instantly went flat.  Oops.

Anyway, after much searching around I found the lost parts and reassembled the valve.  Today I finally had time to drag the dead bike down the street to a bike shop and got the tire refilled.

We had a great time together.  I bicycled to parts of Paris that no one except locals see.  I figured out the bicycle route system.  I became a connoisseur of cobblestones learning that there are cobblestones and cobblestones.  It was a joyful ride filled with motion for the sake of motion.  I felt 12 years old again, which – when I think about it – was the age I got my 3 speed “English Racer” bicycle which has the same gear system as my new Dutch bike.

I got home just in time to put away the bike (it is not easy hauling a bike up a 2 storey spiral staircase, by the way) and head out to Saint Chapelle where we agreed last night to meet Greg and Lauri at 3:00 PM. 

Saint Chapelle was built shortly after the Notre Dame, but is of completely different design.  The walls are mostly stain glass windows.  It is beautiful.  After, Lauri, Diane and I stepped into the Conciergerie while Greg when back to their hotel to get a warmer coat.

We met Greg at the Arc de Triomphe and took in the view at the top.  We took lots of pictures.  It is a great vantage point to see Paris.

We decided to walk the length of Avenue des Champs-Élysées on route to Harry’s New York Bar (Greg has been suffering from an acute Martini deficiency).  All of the temporary buildings that they have been setting up are now open.  It was amazing.  They are all shops selling anything from sausages to vin chaud to clothing to artwork.  It was a winter wonderland.  We spent a lot more time there than expected, but it was very fun.

Greg got his martini.  Lauri asked for a glass of wine and learned that they do not serve wine.  Diane got a cocktail called a “Bicyclette” and I had a French beer.  Lauri had a handmade Bailey’s cocktail (they do not use bottled “Bailey’s).  Harry’s Bar is famous because it was a favorite hangout of Earnest Hemmingway.

No comments: